Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dakar and CounterPart Workshops

Dakar and CounterPart Workshops

After an insanely hectic and tiring week, we finally get an afternoon off. Despite the fact that we are going right back to Tassette tomorrow morning for a lenghty 9 day stay, we are all enjoying the afternoon off. This week started off with a great visit to Dakar. About 15 of us left Thies on Sunday and met up with some current volunteers at the regional house in Dakar. We all went to the American club, which was both a weird yet relaxing experience. Entering the club was like walking into a different country. I was somewhat bewildered at first as I ate my hamburger by the pool in silence. After a few hours at the club, we ventured off to a bar for a happy hour (Am I really in Africa...?), and then to a Chinese restaurant for dinner. The next day was quite a bit less exciting, with several hours of safety and security lectures, as well as a lenghty orientation of the Peace Corps Headquarters in Dakar. For medical reasons, I am very happy to be close to Dakar, as getting there will not be too hard when that fateful day arrives where I am deathly ill in this country. After our orientation, some of the current volunteers took us around town for some tours and a late lunch. I didn't take any pictures simply because of the rampant pickpocketing Dakar is known for (6 of my fellow trainees also got caught in a soccer riot there last week, so I didn't feel like pushing my luck my first time there). Dakar is a remarkable city that truly feels like another world apart from the rest of Senegal (at least the little that I've seen...). Despite being an expensive visit, I had a fantastic time, and am looking forward to spending more time there over the next two years. I will even have the opportunity to enjoy the best surfing in West Africa!

The rest of this week was spent meeting with our site counterparts and supervisors. These are two members of my future community that came to Thies to learn about my job and get to know me. While it was very good to talk to them and learn more about Mekhe, the week as a whole was boring and exhausting. Most of the lectures were meant for the counterparts to understand their roles and responsibilities, so many rounds of hangman were played in the back of the room. At the end of each day, we quickly packed up and made the 45 minute commute to Tassette to crash in the village. As always, the village likes to give a city boy like me the occasional slap in the face. I heard a noise near my backpack last night, so I picked up my flashlight and went to investigate. When I picked up my backpack, the rat lying under it panicked and essentially lunged at me, running over my foot. Reacting in a very calm manner, I yelped and lost my balance, crashing onto my bed and damaging my mosquito net in the process (which meant yet another episode of "Village Home Improvement: Fixing your mosquito net with dental floss"). Despite this, it was as usual a good week and I'm getting very excited to move into my site in 2 weeks. I also found out that I am getting installed on the 11th of November (at exactly 11:30am...which probably means 4pm by Africa/Peace Corps time). My counterpart also informed me that Mekhe is the exact midpoint between Dakar and St. Louis, since the trains that used to run from each town would meet in Mekhe. Well, I have many errands to run, so I should get going. I'll post an update once we get back from the village, wich will be the day before the election. Samay xarit ak man degg nanu Wolof bu bare! ("My friends and I understand Wolof very well"...a blantant lie despite my Intermediate Low level).

P.S Picture is of me during the field trip at Popenguine. Quite a while ago, but I figure a picture is better than no picture...

2 comments:

Tahoe said...

Great hearing from you. Grandma will be happy to hear you didn't kill the rat. You didn't, did you?
Don't forget your brother's little histoire with a rat in his bedroom...
Mailing that package soon, so list any last minute goodies........
Bises from Austin!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are having such a good time in the Peace Corps. You picked a great time to go since good luck getting a job in this economy.

I just finished watching the most exciting college football game I've seen since TX won the title. Texas Tech beat UT in Luboock on a last second TD. McCoy lead texas back from down 20 to take a lead with 1 minut left and then tech scored with 1 second left. They were penalized twice though becasue the dumbass tx tech fans stormed the field not once but twice before the kickoff so then they nearly lost but held on to beat UT.

It is very sad in Cowboys land as Romo is still hurt and my pinkie alone can throw the ball farther than Brad Johnson.

You are the only person who paid me for the fantasy football season so I will pay you with 2 years of Jew interest when you return to the states.

Just think, if you do get deathly sick at least you have that nice bathroom to go throw up in.

P.S. You are missing the sickest season of entourage yet.

"SQUANK aka Jewbaka"