Friday, January 23, 2009

The return of Galass Diop

Well, IST (In Service Training) is right around the corner. I have orders to report to the Thies Training Center by Sunday. After Sunday night, we will all be commuting back and forth from our original homestay villages. For those able to add two and two, that means I will be returning to the Diop family for a few weeks. I'm actually very excited to start IST, not only because I get to see my stage friends, but also because I want to show off my improved Wolof to the Diops. It will surely be an exhausting period, but it should be fun and interesting nonetheless. I will also be bringing a bunch of sample products (shoes and belts) from the local shoemakers to sell to my fellow volunteers (a traveling shoe salesman well versed in the business of basket weaving...that's me...).
Otherwise, it's been a fairly slow period. I essentially got strong armed into continuing my Wolof classes, which were excruciating. In 3 additional lessons, I learned incredibly useful Wolof words to describe "digging dirt out of your fingernails", "a deadly blow to the ear", and my favorite "A special way to tie up donkeys during the dry season". At least these sessions are over and I never have to deal with "Useless Gypsy" (His name in my phone book) again. I told him that if I pass my language test during IST, the Peace Corps will no longer pay for tutoring. Obviously, I will pass. In terms of work, the shoemakers and I did some more accounting, and I'm currently helping them apply for a grant. In a sense, the timing of IST is a bit unfortunate, as I'm really starting to connect with my host family. The household toddler, Ahmet, even showed his affection for me by peeing on me the other day. But in all seriousness, they are a great host family, and I'm happy to have their company here. I'm off to pack my things up, but I'll give updates from the Diop family in Tassette next time I get on the internet. Mangi dem Thies pur gis samay xaarit!

1 comment:

Tahoe said...

great useful phrases! ('ya never know...)
Hard to believe it's already time for IST. The Diops should enjoy our Christmas photo.
Safe travels.
Maman and the critters all miss you horribly!