Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Are you serious?!?

WARNING: There are gruesome pictures at the bottom of this post. Do not scroll down if you are squeamish!




Just a little while ago, I had attached a basket to my bike and was leaving town on the way to a village. On the busiest street in town, I was happily weaving my way through the human traffic. Suddenly, out of my peripheral vision I saw a small black object coming at me, much like a miniaturised boulder from a catapult. Surely enough, it landed squarely on my left hand. I immediately stopped my bike and got off, seeing two children with terrified looks in their faces. "KAN MOOY SANNI KO?!?!?!" I shouted (Who threw it?), and then each child pointed at the other. As I looked down, my hand started bleeding profusely. Infuriated, I took just one step towards the children before they ran like the wind. Within seconds, a small crowd of people had formed around me. They were incredibly helpful for me, bringing water to wash off the wound and wrapping it in a cloth. After strict instructions to go straight to the hospital,I slowly biked back home, where I cleaned everything off and took some gory pictures (Do not scroll too far down if you are averse to blood). It's perfectly fine now, but I'm just very angry that someone would actually throw a rock the size of an orange at me. Thankfully it only hit my hand, but what if it hit me in the face? As frustrating as something like this is, it was encouraging to see so many people concerned and worried for me. Part of me feels bad because I'm sure those kids will be found and beaten the crap out of, which is pretty unecessary. Other than that, things are going well, our basket order is progressing, and I will be in Dakar for work and some "noosing" (having fun) this weekend. A Plus tard!




















The bowl I used to clean my hand out...

2 comments:

Tahoe said...

EEuuuuuwww! Grandma and I are looking at the photos. I'm sorry this happened. Grandma is worried about infection.
Bonne guerrison, gros calin, Maman

Anonymous said...

Hey Oliver!

I know this may be random, but my name is Katie Johnson and I am a senior economics major at Otterbein College in Columbus, OH. I am considering going into the peace corps and saw your blog. Would you care to send me your thoughts on the experience so far? Do you feel like what you are doing is effective? Would you decide to do it all over? If you could email me that would be wonderful. My email address is kljohnson42@yahoo.com. Merci beaucoup et bonne chance au Senegal. -Katie Johnson