Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Trek

As the crow flies, I live 18 miles from the ocean. Since this distance seems rather minimal in the grand scale of things, I've always wanted to walk to the ocean from Ngaye. I brought this idea up to a few people, each time garnering some questionable looks. But apparently I've become quite convincing, and managed to sucker 3 friends of mine into this adventure. Thus, Thursday night, 4 of us (Thomas, Daniel, Justin and I) met at a fantastic chicken restaurant in Thies to have a feast (1st picture) before the start of the trek. We then took a cab back to my town, where we made some last minute preparations and got a decent nights sleep.

At precisely 5:30AM the next morning, we charged out of my house with our headlamps and headed west. Our goal was to make it to Mboro (a town 2-3 miles from the ocean) where we would regroup with a volunteer there and then continue onto the ocean. As the sun slowly rose in our backs (2nd picture), we walked briskly, intent of making as much progress as possible while it was still fairly cool out. Soon enough, we were trudging through sandy field after sandy field, still going directly west. While trudging through these fields, we spotted some dunes far in the distance, and wondered what we would find behind them. About 5 hours later, we finally hit the dunes (3rd picture - Myself and Justin), climbing them in a nervous energy to see the view from the top (4th picture). For such a barren territory, we were all shocked at the austere beauty of the view from the top. We also made an interesting discovery from the top of these dunes: between us and the ocean lay a massive posphorous factory stretching several miles of land. To get to Mboro, we would simply have to walk right through the middle of the factorys grounds. Approaching the gargatuan man-made mountains of rock, we silently wondered if this was a good idea. After all, if 4 random hikers walked through the heart of a U.S factory snooping around, they would quickly be dispatched and told never to come back.

Upon arriving at the heart of the factory, we were relieved to see that everyone was incredibly friendly to us. Not only were the employees fine with us being there, they were elated to see toubabs walking around and speaking Wolof to them. So, after a healthy detour at the factory (5th picture), we made our way through the end of it, to find some dry stretches of land. For me, this would be the most tenuous part of the trip. Having thus far avoided any blisters on my feet, I was feeling great and at the front of the pack. Suddenly, the dry earth (6th picture)started getting softer, and then much softer. Before I could make a comment, my right leg sank straight into soft (and seemingly neverending) mud. Blurting out my share of expletives, I was helped out of the trap by Daniel. So yes, I've essentially been a victim of quicksand, as my shoe and leg were caked with enough mud to make any sign of skin invisible. For about another 2 hours, we trudged along, our pace slowing quite a bit due to blisters and the increasingly intense heat of the day. Passing through the fertile (and beatiful) fields near Mboro, we could sense the finish line. Finally, at around 4pm, we were met by Devon (the Mboro volunteer) on the national route going into Mboro. Handing each one of us a cold beer, he commented that the ocean was still probably 2 hours away by foot. Downing our beers, we decided that we were spent and that our trek would end here in Mboro (7th picture...notice the caked mud on my leg).


After spending a few hours at Devon's and in the local bar, we limped into cars and headed to our respective homes. Around 9:30pm, I staggered back into my home. Needless to say, my host family was flaberghasted that I would do such a thing and quickly let me know that I was absolutely insane, yet brave. Strangely enough, I wasn't all that sore today considering we ended up walking around 25 miles (due to our navigational errors). I am elated that we were able to pull this off, because it showed us all that this region of the country does have some really cool areas that need to be explored some more. I don't think the walk will be repeated for quite some time, but the next time it is, I feel confident that I'll be there.

4 comments:

Tahoe said...

Hey - that plate of food could have come from Chuy's!
That trek was amazing, glad you kept your right foot. How was it that in all that desert, YOU managed to step in a bou pit?? Good you weren't wearing your Chacos, you would have lost one.
Photos were great too. Especially that one at dawn.
Happy Mother's Day to me again, Love you and love the flowers,
Maman

Anonymous said...

Quicksand, lol.... Only you, dude.

Kemosabe said...

This adventure eminds me of the time I rode my motorcycle from Korhogo to Bobo-Dioulasso in one day - bonkers.
Good that you didn't try to do this alone! I wonder how many people have ventured into quicksand and come back to tell about it?? Quite an exploit and your photos are fantastic1. I love the dawn shot. Keep up the good word, stay safe.
Papa

Anonymous said...

You can see the phosphorous factory easily on Google Earth, looks huge.
Looks like it was a cool trip!