Friday, September 19, 2008

Gallas Diop!

First off, I wanted to let everyone back home know that the language I will learn in PST (Pre-Service Training for you normal people) will be Wolof. Wolof is the most widely spoken of all the regional languages, and just about everyone can understand it, which is nice. Unlike other languages that are very regionally specific (such as Mandinka and Pulaar du Nord), Wolof is used throughout the country so I still have no clue as to where I will be placed. We were informed of our languages on Monday, and then quickly transported to communities around Thies that are committed to that language. Thus, at around 5 p.m Monday afternoon, I was dropped off at a compound in the village of Tassette (South-Southwest of Thies I believe). Immediately, I was informed that my new Senegalese name would be Gallas Diop. Obviously, this entails that my time in Tassette will be spent within the Diop household. Moussa Diop, whom is my host father, is a local mason who is very friendly. My host mother seems to be the most educated woman in town as she is the head of a women's group and routinely gives lectures of hygiene and child education. As for siblings, there are currently two boys in the house (I have been informed that there are other brothers and sisters but that they are on vacation). The two boys are Alassa (around 14-15 years old by my assumptions), and Gallas (a 10 year old whom I was named after). While Gallas has been somewhat shy thus far, Alassa is extremely excited to have me around and plans on showing me everything in town.

While in Tassette, we spend our days learning Wolof in a small building that is normally used as an elementary school. Our teacher Assaitou gives us lessons from 9-1, and then from 3-6. In just two days, I have learned enough Wolof to essentially construct just about any type of question. Luckily for us, Wolof is a very simply structured language where one can discuss the past, present, and future by simply chaning one letter in an entire sentence. When not in class, we spend time with our families, trying to continually improve our language skills. The only problem I have run into is that my entire host family is very well educated, and therefore speaks perfect french. It's extremely difficult to try to force myself to converse in a foreign language when I can so easily revert back to French and have no trouble at all. When we all return to Tassete, I will try my best to avoid French and focus on learning Wolof.

Living in the village, even for 2 days, was a remarkable experience. Granted, taking bucket baths in the same real estate as the Turkish toilet will take some getting used to, but I loved my initial "real" introduction to African life. My group and I (there are 5 of us placed in Tassete) quickly noticed how friendly the people in the village are. In Thies, some people will say hello, while others ignore you and go on about their day. In the village, however, EVERYONE wants to talk to you. When we first arrived, anyone who noticed the awkward toubab (white person) sitting in the yard (a.k.a sand) would rush in and greet them. Just about everyone makes an effort to say something to me in Wolof and have me learn the meaning of it. The villagers seem to have a deep respect of the Peace Corps and are all very excited to have us around. It is customary in Senegalese culture to give a guest everything possible to make him/her comfortable. Thus, whenever I walk into a room, I am immediately offered a plastic chair (one of 3 in my household...a prized commodity). My family always serves me first and insists I keep eating, even when full. In the evenings, up to 30 neighbors will come and watch the TV my family owns. Despite essentially being a complete stranger, I routinely get a a front row seat to the action (either UEFA soccer games or Brazilian soap operas translated into French...). While I sometimes feel a bit awkward around them (Peace Corps requires us to lock our room door, which often means I have to ask several people to move out of the way so the white kid can lock his door), their genuine desire to please me is very endearing.

At dinner time, my family of 5 will gather around the bowl and eat Ceebu jen (the traditional Senegalese meal of Rice and Fish) or another variant of rice. While I actually find the food quite good, they continually insist I eat more, no matter how much I've already consumed. This leads to my constant defense of "Suur na! Suur na!" (meaning "I am full!). In my two days, I have found that the coffee and ginger juice are exceedingly tasty, and I look forward to more servings of both (even if both contain untreated Senegalese water, which has not harmed me... yet). I also look forward to improving my Wolof, as everyone speaks too fast to yet understand clearly. On Monday I will return to Tassette, and will be there for around 8 days, which means I will not be in contact during that period. I'll be sure to post a picture or two of Thies before I head out again. Hope everyone is doing well and I'll be in touch!

P.S We got our phones a few days ago. My new number is (221) 77-187-8791. Calling is expensive but sending text messages costs about the same as the U.S so send me some updates from back home!

2 comments:

Tahoe said...

A brand new name - cool! And named after your younger brother? Also cool.
We enjoyed every word of your excellent description of your initial homestay.
Waiting for pictures of taking a bucket bath in a Turkish toilet. Do you want some of those stick-on, non-slip thingys so you don't slip?
There are some nice ones shaped like fish.
Hey, miss you bigtime, Gallas Diop!
Maman and the critters

Yelena said...

Want to know a funny coincidence ... I USED to take baths in a big bucket by pouring water on myself with little buckets...that we pulled up from the well TOO. Not kidding that was the life in good ol' UKRAINE!! I even wrote my college application paper on the whole bucket experience... heh heh. Hope you're enjoying it though (I bet its a better experience then the CAP bootcamp showers..... :/ if you dare want to remember those, I certainly don't.