Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The day before I left for Africa.

Well, it is late Tuesday afternoon and we are essentially finished with staging. Tomorrow morning we will check out at 7:30am and get our yellow fever shots, along with our malaria medicine (lariam, for those who care, is somewhat well known in that users sometimes experiences psychotic nightmares). From there we will be getting on a bus and driving to JFK International Airport. Finally, at 5:20pm, our group of 40 or so Peace Corps Trainees will leave for Senegal!

Staging did a very good job of getting us excited and ready for the trip ahead, yet also eased the fears of many. We did a lot of ice breakers and small group projects in order to get to know everyone a little better. My main worry coming in was what kind of people were going to be in my group. So far, everyone has been great and I'm looking forward to have these people be my co-workers and friends for the next two years. I've also never been so thankful for my experiences in the French Lycee systems. Obviously I don't know what's going to happen, but the fact that I have so much experience in French reassures me quite a bit since I will have a much easier time communicating with people when I get there. Packed and ready to go, I'm off to enjoy my last night on American soil before the adventure begins. Obviously, the next entry will be from across the world, so see you in Senegal!

2 comments:

Tahoe said...

We miss you already, Ollie!
Mille merci for keeping us up-to-date on your blog.
Allez, bon vent!
Gros bisous from Austin,
Maman, Ruckus (still pouting), Jimboy, et Gris Gris

Anonymous said...

Watch out for those big ass African cockroaches.